Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Bright idea # %&*^$),000,000,000

It was 95 degrees today. All 3 of my chillen's are sick (bad sick, with the pukes coming projectile out both ends). Our house smells like a hospice. So to escape for a bit over an hour while all 3 napped. I decide at the peak of the heat today that I should test my riding ability in the hot ass heat of the day. It sounded like a good idea: train in the conditions that you might meet on a pay day (pay to ride day) for me that would be Sunday. Pay to ride that 100 miles that is still daunting me, teasing me, it is the carrot and I am the rabid bunny.

Okay, enough with my dramatic interlude....on to my bright idea to ride in the heat. It sucked. I went 20 miles and it was relatively flat, I've done this ride a few times with NO problems. It is "easy"....20 miles a bit over a thousand feet of gain BUT IN 90 DEGREES I SUCKED!! I was exhausted. I melted. I poured my water over my head. I got heat flush in my face that lasted for hours AFTER my ride. Oh man, I'm not made to ride in the heat. I was once again humbled. I melted, I melted, I melted...I dripped sweat from my head down to my toes...I'm not a sweater...I don't sweat, but only a shine upon the bridge of my nose. However, when you act like a crazy person and go out to subject yourself (speaking about *me* here) to these "extreme" conditions you learn a hot lesson. I had a fever today...it was self induced. Tomorrow, I rest.

No comments: