Thursday, January 03, 2008

Sharing the bread love

In the fall and winter I do two things consistently, I bake bread and I knit. This year
I have been making the kids this cottage cheese bread and they LOVE it, plus it has a bunch of protein because of the "secret" ingredient :)Just don't let them see you make it if they have a cottage cheese aversion. The stuff just melts into the loaf, they'll never know its in there. Clever Mama's unite!

I make this yummy loaf in my Oster 2lb Expressbake, but am going to attempt it in my new oven soon.

Here is the recipe:

Cottage Cheese Speltish Bread


3/8 cups water
1 cup of cottage cheese
1 egg
2 TBSP of butter, margarine or olive oil
1 TBSP Molasses
1 TBSP Honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup of Spelt flour
2 and 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1 cup of wheat flour
1 and 3/4 cup unbleached flour (i use King Arthur Brand)

Measure and add liquid ingredients to bread pan. Measure and add dry ingredients (except yeast) to the bread pan. Use your finger and form a hole in the flour where you pour in the yeast. Go do that. Yeast should NOT touch the wet ingredients. Snap the bread pan into the breadmaker and plug it in, press select and choose the sweet setting. Press the Crust color button and choose the color crust you want, then push start. Easy peasy....3 hours later yummy goodness.

No comments: