Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Feeling not so Peachy on this century

On Sunday I completed my 2nd century ride: Peach of a Century. It was 102.66 miles and I was sick that day.

When I got to the registration table I realized that I had no checks, not cash and they didn't accept credit. I had driven 1 1/2 hours down to Salem to do this ride and here I stood looking like a big dufus with my wallet wide open and no payment. The very kind lady said that I could write them a check and mail it from home and could do the ride. Thank you so much kind registration lady!! Check is in the mail.

After I got all geared up and on my bike I rolled out. I have no idea what time it was, but I did start my watch to keep track of time. I was not going to keep track of the time, but I couldn't resist. Even though I was sick and was going out to enjoy myself a little voice told me I just needed to do this ;)

The first rest stop came up rather quickly (22.4 miles) and I had only gone through 1/2 of my water and 3/4 of my Accelerade. I had only had a couple bites of my breakfast (a bagel w/ peanut butter) and had 2 cups of coffee. I was not fueling very well. The bathroom line was soooooo long. 3 porta potties and over 1,000 people on this ride??? Shifty from Bike Forums was there and gave me a hello hug and encouragement. So I stood there waiting for what seemed like eternity, but had a nice chat with a girl behind me who was very friendly. I ran into my biker buddy Chalrotte and her friend Kim their smiles gave me encouragement. I topped off my water bottle, topped off the fuel bottle with some more water and popped 2 more Dayquils and was on my way. About 5 miles before the split for the metric people and century riders I latched on to a tandem who already had 2 other riders firmly attached. I totally get the sweet spot now. The guy in front of me was about 6'2" tall and created a HUGE wall. I will be a better wheel sucker in the future. I was flying with them and getting a full recovery while boogie-in at 25-27mph! Too bad they split off on the metric course. I was sad, but at least they helped me escape these 2 stubborn guys who got mad every time I passed them and had to pass me and then slow down. Hate that.

The next rest stop came up at mile 54.7. I had gone through only 1/2 of my water and 1/2 of my Heed and one gel. I refilled my water bottle, filled my fuel bottle with some Heed, grabbed a handful of pretzels to stick in my jersey pocket and made a 1/4 bagel with cream cheese and jelly. I saw another couple of friends at this stop, but one particular gave me a great laugh. Ernie came up with a friendly hug and with his chest all puffed out shouting: "I feel great! I feel like a ROCK STAR!!". This made me giggle and I told him I wanted some of what he was taking. So he gave me some electolytes and that was so nice because I stopped cramping in my calves after those. I got back on my bike after a quick potty break and went on my merry way. Oh almost forgot Mary, I saw Mary D. also she swore she had seen Mara, but indeed she had not (Mara was enjoying the comfort of her home--lucky girl). She told me of her adventures in wheel sucking.

I was feeling okay at this point, certainly not my best, but o.k. When we hit mile 70ish there was this really nice climb up from Stayton to Silverton and I loved it. I really needed some hills by now. I was starting to ache all over and focus on all my little body aches (neck, wrists, ankle, calves, etc). When we hit that climb I was just feeling energetic again. The endorphins totally kicked in...yay adreneline! Right after the climb was a nice descent into the little town of Silverton and the 3rd rest stop at mile 77.7...I MISSED IT.

I should have turned around and gone back to the stop, but all I kept thinking was: I have 1/2 a bottle of water and 1/2 the Heed, I'll surely be fine to make another 25 miles, it's just another group ride. I've done a group ride on a total of only bottle. I just want this thing to be over. At mile 85 I was DONE. I had no more water left, it was now in the high 80's, I had to pee like nobody's business and I still had 17 miles to go and I was allllll alone. I was not feeling the love. In the distance I saw a golf course and hoped there would be a porta potty on the green...there was and I ran through the ditch to get to that bad boy! Thank goodness for old man bladders that it was there. The other saving grace was the John's (not toilets), the John's (John C and John D) who heroically came by, stopped, smiled and then told me to ride back with them. I would not have made it back w/o a few tears had they not towed my spirits back to the finish. They rode slow for me which I thought was very nice considering John C's love of hill attacking and normal fast pace.

The last 3 miles I just changed my computer because I couldn't look at how slow the miles were ticking by any longer. We finished all together and I ran to my car to chug a V8. Then...I indulged in a giant slice of peach pie.

Conclusions: I should have fueled better. I should have eaten a bigger breakfast. I should not miss rest stops on accident any more. I need to do more sit ups. I need a new set of lungs. I need to not drink wine the night before a century. I really need to learn more about this base building stuff :) Smiling faces on a ride can get you through.

No comments: